Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Ducks in a row

Yesterday, Chris took me to the Duke Gardens to feed the ducks (yeah for my sweet hubby! :-)). We didn't get there until about 8:10, and I was afraid that they had all gone to bed already, but the first few ducks that we fed made enough noise to bring everyone else out for a late snack.

When we saw them two weeks ago, they looked like this.


There were nine of them, all lined up behind mama mallard. Last night, they came out again, and while there were still nine of them with mama (hooray!), they looked more like this.


Very, very cute. And lots of fun to feed. The adult ducks would eat out of my hand, but the ducklings wouldn't quite come close enough. Chris got them to brush up against my hand by dropping pieces of bread in the water near where I was holding a piece. They were so soft! (The ducks, not the bread.) :-)

{My thanks to the websites of Illinois Bird of the Day and birdperch.com for the pictures.}

No comments: